Saturday, October 22, 2005

Enhance Your Cyber Exploration! Instructions Redirected from Dale's Tecblogging Page from DC Spensley

Part of the beauty of life is exploring. Dale mentioned today in the lecture a person who simply stayed in and trusted the net to provide for his needs.

While I wouldn't go so far as to do that myself, I do garner a lot of fun moments turning over rocks on the internet and trying to go into places off the highways. I do the same thing off the real highway and try to explore roads I would never take if not for curiosity.

Nope. It's not about Foucault (although a nice cartoon at the SFAI cartoon board IS about Foucault) So if you ONLY want to read stuff appropriate to class, this is not for you, but if you are interested in two ways to REFRESH your approach to viewing the web and trying (like me) to find the sublime side of media overload here are two ways:

1st - Get the free browser Firefox:
Link to Firefox Download

Why? Give me a minute and I'll tell, but before that the next step is to get a plugin for Firefox called Stumble Upon at:
Link to Stumble Upon

Now I know what you are thinking. DC is nuts. I don't want to do all this crap to my computer. Both of these things may be true, but trust me. It's worth it. If you are on a PC, Explorer is giving all your metadata to Satan Bush. You don't want that (or dooooo you?) Explorer is like having a snitch in a used car salesmans body working on your Plumbing. Best not to give him the keys to your house, no matter how clogged your pipes are. The privacy conversation we had today in class is just the tip of the iceberg. Dump Explorer. ( I am not getting paid to say that)

Once you download Firefox and Stumble Upon, install them on your computer in that order. Then you will have a somewhat MORE SECURE browser that kicks pop-up and spam ass, AND a cool new feature on your browser called Stumble.

Stumble will manifest as a button on the left side of your new Firefox Browser under the usual controls. If you need help ask me when I am on campus. Clicking the Stumble button takes you to place on the net you have never even dreamt of. Really.

After clicking making a few initial choices, clicking Stumble has the same effect as channel surfing on the television, but instead of 100 channels with nothing (sorry Dale), there are nearly limitless channels of pretty good stuff, really all the best sites on all the cool topics (which you specified). A good click almost every time, and places you would never go to otherwise. Want to open your eyes to a whole new web? Stumble is one good way to do it.

The 2nd Way is to be brave and click the Next Blog button in the top left of this Blogspot window. I have just skimmed a few hundred blogs and while many are not interesting to me, many are simply fascinating. It doesn't take long to find something cool to read whatever your flavor!

Sorry for the long entry, but it's worth getting Stumble Upon. Trust me on this or rag me out if you aren't a little entertained!

Peace,

DC Spensley
Become informed about censorship in the Blogosphere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home